Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Terrible Twos

I don't even know where to begin. Last week Emrie officially started the throw the worst fits EVER. Even that last sentence is an understatement. I am a firm believer that a parent should not yell, and definitely not spank, so I try to lovingly send my sweet darling Emrie to time out when she misbehaves. Well last week she spent over an hour and a half in time out. We tell her as she is on her way into time out that when she is acting sweet she can come out. It has been taking her a LONG time to act sweet, therefore she is spending more time in time out, and longer periods of time. Well today is a day as a parent I am not proud of. I lost it. While trying to do her hair for church she would not hold still and kept whining about not being able to eat Kennady's teething tablets. And thus begins the moment I'm not proud of. I just couldn't take it any longer. I grabbed the teething tablets out of her hand, chucked them across the room, picked her up, stuck her on her bed, and slammed her door (not too hard though) and went to take my shower. Wow, did I really need a moment to cool off. I have learned that it is best when super frustrated with your child to walk away and take a few deep breaths and come back to the situation when calmer. However chucking items and slamming doors should be the last thing you do. To top it off, Carl got to witness this blessed event, i think that's the first time he has ever seen me lose my cool with the kids. HOW EMBARRASSING. After my shower I came out to find the house very tidy (it was really a mess before) and the kids taken care of. Ha ha! I did apologize to Emrie. If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle temper tantrums, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment