I'm going to expose some of the myths about being the baby of the family. I've been teased my whole life by my four older brothers and two older sisters that I am SO spoiled. I will say that I was extremely privileged to have been able to travel to many places with my mom and have my parents spend more time attending my sporting and other events. You see, I am 6 years younger then the closest sibling, so while going to high school I was the only child left at home, leaving the majority of my parents attention spent on me. Could I help that their were so many years between myself and my brother? NO, so quit your whining, and let me tell you while the rest of you are spoiled.
Being the youngest of 7, when it came my time for entrance into the world, my parents weren't exactly super young any more. What does this mean you might ask. Growing up I watched as my mom was present for all the grand kids births. She was there for my first one (Emrie) and was so much help. For my second one she was on a mission in Russia. At that time (the birth of Kennady) I resented them being on a mission so much. I know, I know, the blessings that come from going on a mission is tremendous, I KNOW. I even understand as I have my own children my parents desire to have a life of their own and go and do what they please, but that also doesn't mean that I felt left out, and even envious of my other siblings and that my mom was their for them when their children were born. SPOILED
Do you know that I have not spent a night away from my kids, EVER! That means I have not spent a night away from Em in almost three years this February 16th to be exact. This also means that Carl and I have not had real time to ourselves in almost three years. This can not be said the same about my siblings. They would take WEEK long vacations (multiple times) while my parents baby-sat. SPOILED.
Did you know that a some of my siblings have been fortunate enough to live in my parents house rent free? YES, so while I struggle just to survive financially on a month to month basis, these siblings live in luxury of not having to pay a mortgage/rent or other bills associated with housing (water, electricity, garbage, etc) SPOILED.
Lastly, Did you know that my parents have loaned obscene amounts of money to my siblings (without yet seeing a return from some of them) during the time when I lost my home in foreclosure. SPOILED.
So brothers and sisters if any one of you fall under any of these categories: SPOILED. If you don't, then you can continue teasing me that I'm spoiled. Really, I just think it is awesome that I've been able to make it without having a babysitter, without having to live at home or borrowing large quantities of money. However I wouldn't mind being spoiled in any of these ways. What does this say about our parents? That they are awesome for helping their kids out!!! MY TURN, MOVE ASIDE, I will call you out, wait, I just did.
Too bad none of them will read this, and I might be a little upset with the brothers because none of them have even met Kennady who is now 13 months old.
ReplyDeleteAmen! I could have written this post! (And now I will step away from the computer and stop blog stalking you!)
ReplyDeleteI love being blog stalked, it makes me feel like what I have to say is a little important. Blog stalk away Mare!
ReplyDelete