Every mom has her own method of parenting, a method behind the madness, and an opinion with proven results to back that method up. I too have a very specific parenting method, but before I continue, let me preface this blog with a statement about other mothers.
I don't care how you raise your kids, I don't! I don't care if you use a diaper genie or walk your dirtys outside everyday or if you even use disposables. I don't care if you start your kid on solids at 4 months or 6 months, or if you spank them. The only time I will ever care about your method of parenting is if are going to use chloroform to calm them down while you go out to party, or something to that effect. Just because I do what works for me, does not in any way imply that it will work for you, if you ever need any advice, you can come to me, and then I will share with you what has and has not worked for me, I don't care if you take my advice and use it, or if you take it and go with what someone else does. YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.... just because it is not how I do it, does not mean it doesn't work... okay, now that, that's out of the way... let me begin..
I have come to the conclusion that I am an unconventional mother, whose methods are learned after trial and error. Here are some examples:
Emrie sleeps on the couch in the living room every night. She has a toddler bed, and her own room, she has no problem sleeping in her own bed, she will go to sleep in her own bed just as well as she does on the couch..... I prefer her to sleep on the couch because then she is closer to me. At night her bedroom seems so far away, and I end up having a restless night wondering how she is doing in her upstairs bedroom. What if the house catches on fire, or a robber comes in? These both are long shots but possibilities, therefore she sleeps on the couch. Kennady sleeps in a pack-n-play in the living room as well, next to the couch Emrie occupies. You might be judging me right now thinking oh my gosh how could she let her kids sleep where ever, won't it confuse them for when they get older? Maybe it will, but I'll deal with that then, but I can tell you that it makes life easier when we are traveling, because she will sleep where ever, and it does not mess up any sort of structure or "schedule." This brings me to example number two.
I've watched other mothers adhere to a schedule and even creating one before the child was born. (I do think that's a little silly, but like I said, I don't care) I change a diaper when its dirty, I bottle feed when they are hungry, and I let them sleep when they are tired, and if I need to do something I will wake them up, and bring them along with me, and if I want to stay out late I will. I will just pack a pair of jammie's and live my life. I have found that my kids create their own schedules. Kennady for prime example, always naps at 10 am and 3 pm. I didn't pick these times, I let her decide, and that way I'm not battling with her. Em... I wish she would still nap, but most days she doesn't take one anymore, and on days I have run her ragged, you can find her falling asleep on the couch. All of this has been done with trial and error. I tried making her nap, but it didn't work so why fight it.
I find myself as being the unconventional mother, I don't let a book tell me how to parent or when my child needs to nap or have a bottle and I WILL NOT wake my kid up for a feeding. I let these things be decided as a collaborated effort between mother and child. Together we decide on how things are done, and that works best for us. My kid will continue to sleep on the couch, they will both be out late if Carl and I are out late (I'm not going to miss out on things to hurry come and put them to bed) and I will let them watch TV so that I can get my chores done.
Wow, I have so much more to say about all this... perhaps I should write a book about the unconventional mother. I just let trial and error lead the way, and do whats comfortable for me with the BEST interest of my children in mind. If you know anything about me as a mother you do know this, while I might not do things according to the "book" I will always do my best to keep them healthy, safe and happy.
AMEN! If it works, do it! Why cause yourself more of a headache trying to comform to what worked for someone else? I love your posts :)
ReplyDelete