Monday, November 22, 2010
What you need to know about me as a Mormon
Looks as if this is the topic... please be patient when you read this, I tend to jump from thought to thought. I am a Mormon. I was born into the church and I grew up in a strict LDS home. At least I think it was rather strict. We were not allowed to watch TV on Sundays, you had to stay in your dress clothes after church, it was a definite no to date before you were 16 and caffeine was NOT allowed in the house (these are just a few examples). I never had a problem following these rules, not to say I was not a fan of some of them, but I think I was a pretty good kid. I went to church every Sunday and attended early morning seminary. We lived in a community that was not predominately LDS, therefore people always watched you and knew what you believed. At a young age I just knew that the church was true, I didn't have to kneel down in prayer and ask, I just knew. Two months after my high school graduation off I went to BYU-Idaho. It was in the small town of Rexburg, Idaho that I really begin to understand my religion and in a nut shell this is what I learned. THE RELIGION IS TRUE.... the people ARE NOT perfect, and you can't be mad at the RELIGION because of imperfect people. For example: I don't know how many people I know that quit going to Church or hate it all together because they know a "Mormon" that was mean to them and therefore the church must be bad. This has happened to several people close to me, they have stopped going to Church because someone at Church made a comment that really offended them. There is not a single person that is perfect. All of us at some point in time, say mean things, or do mean things. I think that's why I like my religion, because it's really all about trying to be better everyday, and if ya mess up, you can repent and be forgiven and keep on going. And here is something else, I don't discriminate. I don't care if you go to my church, or if you are Catholic, or Jehovah Witness, or whatever, just as long as you are a good person. It's okay if we don't believe in the same thing, it really is. I think everyone should believe in what I do, because I love it so much, but just because you don't does not mean I love you any less. Just like I love chocolate ice cream, and I don't understand why everyone doesn't like chocolate ice cream, doesn't mean I can't be your friend because you like vanilla ice cream better or you don't like ice cream at all. I just like to surround myself with good people, and have a good time, and I won't ever think any less of you if you smoke or drink or do things I don't believe in. Just as long as you are nice to me and give my girls lots of gifts (just kidding, I'm kinda a joker when topics get serious). This is just a small sampling of my feelings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment